Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Premiere!

Big thanks to the inspiring cohort in AU's Social Enterprise program who stay ambitious despite the less-than-ideal environment where we all met, especially Stevie Smyth who awakened this previously-dormant idea of sharing my journey of creating enterprises.

Warning! This blog will represent some degree of my silliness in trying to make a small ripple in the ocean, and some degree of hubris that keeps me going everyday to keep generating ideas. There will be a silly attempt to post a few words every single day that I am still breathing, to share the continuous struggle of becoming and being an entrepreneur and explain myself in words which may turn into a best-seller, at least in my own little world.

So here is an excerpt of an article that I recently wrote for a writing competition for entrepreneurs:

"It is within the interest of both entrepreneurs and governments to have an educated and healthy workforce. So with our economic influence, why don’t we, entrepreneurs, answer the call to be our employees' keeper and invite more as our businesses grow?"

"Small- and medium-size entrepreneurs should not feel small, as opposed to large corporations who seem to have strong political influence. There are procedures in developed, democratic countries for businesses to form coalitions to voice their opinions on various issues and policies."

"Private-public partnership, a healthy exercise of power from both sides, is the answer to and the future of using the natural interdependence between the two sectors for the greater good, and our own good."

I did not win this competition, fortunately, because I put down these words within 48 hours with jet lag. It would not be fair if I did win. But guess what? I also want to confront those who read my broken essay about the power that entrepreneurs possess: economic, intellectual, and political power. We are not just business-doers; we make things happen with creativity. We are loud in our action and humble in our thought, learning indefinitely from mistakes and getting back up again and again. We break barriers, recruit allies, and keep our enemies close. So ... as I rebuild this essay during this winter break (relating to those in the Northern hemisphere), I hope to address this topic without any limit in length or tone. This is a political issue and I am happy to be political.

No comments:

Post a Comment